Wednesday, March 5, 2008

A tender moment...sort of

Dr. Laura is my current heroin right now. She reinforces everything I just finished reading in my Christmas present from Ben called "What's the Matter with California?" The short answer: divorce, and the consequential fatherlessness of children, and the cult of environmentalism. That was such a remarkable and hilarious book-thanks Ben. Now I am reading Dr. Laura; one of her marital tips was to check on your sleeping children with your spouse. Adam and I typically do that every night before we go to bed just as a matter of course. She suggested that doing so is one of the greatest, easiest and most subtle ways of strengthening your marriage; to look at your sleeping baby together and marvel at that beautiful little creature you created is such a tender moment...usually.
This isn't a picture of the following story...but I think it is cute anyway.


So, last night we sneak all quiet like into Eli's room. As is to be expected, all three pacifiers are thrown to the floor, he is at the complete opposite end of the bed from where I had laid him, and all of the blankets are balled up underneath him. He is laying on his stomach on top of them with his butt in the air and face planted on the mattress. Comfy. So we tiptoe in and smile at what a weirdo he is when he lets out a huge fart.

I'm not talking like little pip squeak. It was a full on man fart. And it stunk. I dropped to my knees laughing and Adam just stood there uttering, "Good job son. I am so proud." Naturally, we woke him up. I was still on the floor laughing when he poked his tired eyes up over the crib rail smiling. It was awesome. He is definitely his father's son.

PS I have like 15 tags that have piled up. I am no good at responding to tags, so sorry. I might do it here in the next few days if I run out of my own things to say...I am sorry to those of you whom I have failed.

10 comments:

lauren said...

what a great story. i literally laughed out loud at work. haha. and what's with this damn word verification thingy?

kenna said...

I laughed for at least 5 minutes straight, and I even teared up insomuch as they spilled down my cheeks. It honestly made my day. Hmmm, the word verification is asking me to spell 'Iran'... That's odd...

Ashley said...

Sorry. I got spammed. I know. I hate it too. But I would rather inconvenience my commenters a bit than get a virus on my computer. Look out for comments from random people that say "Sorry. Look here (hyperlinked)" and then maybe you'll understand the necessity for the stupid word verification.

lauren said...

fair enough. i've seen it, but it hasn't happened to me yet. i'll hold out until it does. and obviously, it doesn't keep me from commenting, so it can't be all bad.

Shannon said...

That is so HILARIOUS!! I love that you two were trying to do something so Tender and Sweet and end up Dying laughing!!
What a great Book!! I think everyone should do that to see the cute litte Monsters they have created together!

I am still laughing...

Heather said...

Now Adam just has to get to the moment when Eli farts like that in church or in front of Adam's school dean (or whatever dental school hot shots are), but Eli has to be about 18 years old--old enough to know it's an inappropriate moment. Then I want to see him swell with pride.
I bet that was hilarious!

AshleyS said...

LOVE Dr. Laura. Are you reading The Proper Care and Feeding of Husbands? Also, I hear ya about the tag thing. I was supposed to do a husband one during Valentine's...now it's March, woops.

Ali said...

That is hilarious! And isn't it scary that kids can produce such adult noises? It shocks me every time. Tender.

Andy & Jen said...

Hey let's make a deal...I'll eat your veggies for you if you'll do my scripture study!
P.S. Eli is so dang cute! I need to get one of those!

Susan said...

Oh gosh...that's a classic story. That's one that you should have caught on camera!!!! Talk about a money maker. lol.