Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Nana week




So, those of you who know my mother know that she totally rocks. For myriad reasons. She came for a much needed Nana visit last week and Eli has been asking for her ever since. Unfortunately, I missed out on many of my mother's wonderful traits, such as those of precision and perfectionism; fortunately, I married someone who possesses those that I am missing. Here are a few of the reasons why, in the words of Crush the turtle, she so totally rocks:
1-She is skinny, cute and way too hot to be a Nana. When I go places with her, people always compliment her on "being my sister" or some lame joke like that. But I know we both like it, let's be honest. I hope that I am as healthy and look as good as my mom does when I am a Nana. She always implicitly taught me how important it is to exercise and eat right, not to look good, but to be a healthy and happy mom.
2-Along those same lines, she has more energy to keep up with Eli than I do. SO splitting his requirements makes him a breeze. And she is more than willing to do it, always trying to entertain Eli when I am fed up with the kid and laughing at his eccentricities, making me see how truly funny he is.
3-She is one hell of a bargain shopper. That woman can sniff out a deal from a mile away. We went down to Santee Alley for some serious street shopping. Note: I would not recommend doing this on a Friday afternoon unless you want to spend three and a half hours in traffic on the way back.
4-She is the definition of handy. She can do anything, fix anything, solve anything-and furthermore, she just does it even if you tell her not to: she cut and colored my hair, cut Eli's hair,

scrubbed the disgusting crap off of my stove top (of which I was afraid), fixed Adam's wool pants (which I thought I had ruined), taught me how to make freezer jam (which I thought was hard, but isn't), and refused to let my dishes sit in the sink. And she read "No bad bunnies" to Eli about 100 times and bought him all kinds of birthday presents in between her chores around my house.

5-She goes home to this, and still loves all of the yucky boys in her house anyway!

We did everything there is to do while she was here: visit Disneyland with cousins and aunts,
visit the beach,
eat lots of frozen yogurt and treats, watch our favorite shows, and shop until we no longer wanted to shop. Thank you mom. When you get finished with your laundry, please come back.

11 comments:

kenna said...

Your mom does rock. In my eyes she saved my life, and I owe her BIG time.

AshleyS said...

I had so much fun with your mom too! She's awesome, we could have talked all day! and she did a great job with your hair. ps. we need to swap jam.

Elisa said...

i LoVe YoUr MoM tOo!!!! And you have so many of these same qualities, so ReLaX!!! Or just realize you're awesome too!

Michelle Tolboe said...

Oh how fun! But, she cut your hair? I'm not so sure about that. ;) Dang, I wish I would've known she was going down there I would have had her get Cade some H&M clothes! :)

Susan said...

Your mom is awesome. I wish Mine was coming up to help more often. I love it that E tried to get in Dwayne's kennel! Something he would do. By the way, you are an awesome mom! Don't kid yourself.

Unknown said...

your mom is so awesome! i bet she had so much fun hanging out with you guys! chels told me awhile ago that you were thinking about applying for law school there - that's awesome! have you decided what you're going to do?

Lauren and Josh said...

Your mom does look really young! We are going up to Arrowhead for conference and if we are back in time tomorrow evening (Sunday) we would love to play with you guys.

Jen and Lance said...

You do have an amazing mom! I want to be her someday too! I do love your family ash. And, you should know that your every bit amazing as your mom.

3WimmerBoys said...

I love your mom for all those reasons too, I agree she does totally rock! I love watching her as a Nana, I hope I am as good at it as she is. You can just tell how crazy she is about Eli, I love it!

CHUNTZ said...

When is Chuntz week?!

Stephanie said...

Thanks for sharing part of Nana week with us! It was so great to see you guys. I love reading about all the fun stuff you guys did. It makes me excited for the days when I can go visit my grown-up girls!