Saturday, October 27, 2007

And the smoke clears

Life goes on. The mountains were even faintly visible today. So I finally went running outside with a bunch of ward friends. The smoke isn't totally gone, but it was vastly improved. We aren't dead yet. Not to sound like the biggest homebody on the planet earth, but it was so nice to get out. I literally have gone outside twice this week. I was sure I was going to need Prozac by Monday if I didn't venture out of my house. I forgot how very much more enjoyable it is to run whilst also being social, as opposed to amusing myself with my own random thoughts and counting every long second of every step I run. I have spent a considerable amount of time in life convincing myself that I relish alone time and enjoy being by myself; I did this so much in high school and college that I was sure I was destined to live life a lone and very single woman, because I would have been one of those people who could have grinned and borne it. Luckily Adam had enough faith in me to look past my baggy sweats, unmakeuped face and pony tailed, unkempt hair. I still continue to be amazed by how much I like interacting with other adult human beings...women no less! Imagine that. Anyway, I am so thankful that the fires are finally under control, that I can go outside and not die of secondhand smoke most days of the year and that I always have opportunities at hand to be social even when I appear to shun them...Unshun.

Adam is studying for midterms so I thought I would disappear for a day so that he could do so effectively. My grandma has been in San Diego staying with my aunt Melissa's kids (who, by the way now has a blog-wahoo! See link to your right...) So the kid and I went down to the zoo. In so doing, I drove right through the heart of much of fire ravaged California. It was unbelievable. Eerie. The freeways were somewhat deserted, so that was in itself a bit odd, but the combination of fog and lingering smoke made it difficult to concentrate on the road. I know, scary. My eyes kept veering to the miles of blackened hillsides. I know that reports have shown how awful and destructive these fires were, and they were. Don't get me wrong. But I also saw how very many homes were saved as well on my little sojourn. I saw homes with black all around them; the fires burnt right up to the very edge on every side and the house remained. Pretty fascinating. So while many were lost, many more were, in my view, miraculously saved. So props to firefighters. You rock.

Here are some pretty blurry pictures of the zoo. I was reduced to only the camera phone.
It was the way the zoo always is: Stinky. But so much fun that you lose track of how smelly it is. The stench is overshadowed by the easy conversations that take place as you meander together and enjoy the laughter of kids having a ball looking at all of nature's fine wonders. It is so fun to see my cute little cousins, who I now think of as my nephews because I am old and married the way my aunts were when I was growing up. Now my aunts are like my sisters in law or something. Its a pretty cool right of passage, this whole being married and having kids thing. Definite perks I tell you. And its always excellent to see my grandma and Wayne. I always leave their presence resolving to be a better person so that I can be like them someday. We had a good time. I love the zoo. You wouldn't think that I would, but I do.

7 comments:

megan said...

Cute pics from the zoo!! And I am so glad that you came running! It is so fun to be able to talk and run- I swear it makes the time fly by! Anyhow, we will have to have many more social outings! You are awesome!

snlbarney said...

I love your rambled thoughts and reactions - you make me laugh and think at the same time! I will not join you on runs, I cannot breath when I run! BUT, I will join you on park days with Eli as he starts to need outside time:)

Steele Family said...

i love reading your blog. it is so entertaining. I love the picture from the zoo. Your little guy is so cute.

Lori & Rj said...

I am so glad you guys are safe. I havent been to a zoo in forever. Looks like you had fun.

Susan said...

CUte pictures! Eli almost looks as big as you ash! I'm glad the smoke is finally clearing and you can have your life back.

AshleyS said...

Hey Ash! I found your blog through Megan's. I just started one and it's so fun to find so many people on here. Eli is too cute, are you going to the JDA event on Thursday?

Susan said...

Yeah just a "tropical storm". It really isn't as bad as they're saying it's going to be. I now understand the true meaning of "scattered showers". It's perfectly sunny and then out of no where it starts pouring with the rain still shinning. It's weird, but I guess it's a good thing that they're scattered. I'm still planning on trick-or-treating seeing that It doesn't look too bad outside. Oh well. What are you guys doing tonight? Are you dressing E up??