Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Farewell old friend


Oh my gosh, look at that fat baby...Anyway, today we said goodbye to Adam's beloved motorcycle. It was time. But it was sad. We always wanted to ride it together more than we really did, and we both worried about him getting into an accident-even just going to and from school. I think those fears were encouraged by several things: Massive amounts of debt that depend on Adam's functioning appendages to be paid back, a dental student who was critically injured a few weeks ago doing exactly what Adam does (riding home less than a mile during lunch,) and just the general sentiment that now is not the time to be taking any extra amount of risk. For three and a half years, Adam rode that bike to and from school and has loved having it. But it is time to move on. We sold it to a darling newlywed couple who was so excited to have it. But I think Adam felt like he was giving up one of his children...and it was sad.

12 comments:

Britten & Chelsea Maughan said...

Oh sad. Way to be brave. You don't want to live in Thayne because there are only 300 people, one grocery store, and two good restaurants. You don't want to live in Afton because there is no Costco. And you don't want to live anywhere near or between the two because there is nothing. Basically, Evanston is the only acceptable place to live I saw along the way.

Katie said...

I just want to know where you scored those sweet leather bombers. Wait, is that what them motorcycle drivers call their jackets?

Julia Nixon said...

Mini van here we come! Congrats on the new baby!

Lisa said...

Isn't if funny that as the debt grows we become more risk averse? As if we wouldn't have minded them dying in a fiery car crash before. Silly, but I identify.

Stephanie said...

Yes, that is sad, but probably for the best. Congrats on the new baby, by the way! Hope you are feeling well! Are you thinking of setting up camp in Wyoming?

Unknown said...

ummm, that could be the cutest picture of your little baby. Seriously- look how chubby and cute.

Lauren and Josh said...

Sorry Adam. But Ashley that was a good move! You need to keep him around for a while :)

3WimmerBoys said...

I love the picture of the two of you on the motorcycle-so dangerous! You'll be glad you got rid of it, but glad for those pictures.

Ashley and Ryan said...

Ashley, I came across your blog as I was doing my usual blog stocking...yes i am guilty of blog stocking, but I had to say, I really enjoy reading your blog! You truly should be a writer! Just the way you word things is so interesting. I hope you dont find it creepy I read your blog due to the fact we haven't spoken in years, but I know the Burrs well and think you and adam are so cute! Not to mention that CUTE baby boy of yours! But I just wanted to mention to you the fact that you are a very talented writer no matter what it is you are writing about. So keep up with the fun blogs! ;)

Unknown said...

How sad. I've always wanted to take a ride on the back of a motorcycle with a leather jacket on :) Cute pictures!

leslie said...

congrats on number2! and condolences on loosing your beloved motorcycle...ask kenny about trading his in for a wife:)

leslie said...

ok i was somehow logged in under my moms name, but that was me...linds jo:)